Friday, June 25, 2010

mirah & thao concert

Instead of doing my usual "Pretty Things Friday," (I'll admit that I completely forgot it's Friday and I have nothing prepared...sorry, guys ) I am going to recap last night... which includes a review of Sea, Surf Bar, and the main event... Mirah & Thao's performance at the Music Hall of Williamsburg.

First of all I got an almost-amazing parking spot right infront of MHoW. I say "almost-amazing" because after the show people were leaning all over my car smoking, but that's how good a spot it was. Also, I am becoming an expert Brooklyn driver.

I met Allison after browsing through some depressingly expensive boutiques and we ate at a Thai restaurant called Sea. It's a really neat restaurant with a pond right in the middle, and off to the right there are some bubble swings and really interesting concave egg shaped chairs. We both got pad thai and it was delish.



After dinner we headed over to Surf Bar (I keep calling it Tiki bar.) I was so impressed by this place because it was so over-the-top beachy! Isn't that the theme these days anyway? The floor was covered in sand and they served their mixed drinks in Hawaiian cups with flowers and umbrellas. We sat in the patio and ordered drinks. Allison's mojito reminded us of a salty beach with seaweed, and I got a Blue Point Blueberry Ale. We met up with Katrina and headed over to MHoW.



I was never at the Music Hall of Williamsburg but it looked exactly like Bowery Ballroom except on a much smaller scale. We were given free Heinekens because Heineken was sponsoring the Northside Festival. Free beer is definitely the best. Anyways...

The first band that played was called Chica Vas. There were literally 17 girls on stage, each playing a different percussion instrument. The two main singers were twins, and all the girls were wearing pretty floral dresses, flowers, feathers, sparkles and facepaint. Basically, they were AWESOME. I've never seen anything like that. They had great energy and it was such a nice surprise. I hope they play more because I would like to see them again.





Another band played called These United States but I wasn't too into them.

Finally... Mirah & Thao with The Most of All aka Mirah/Thao superband. I didn't think I would ever get to see Mirah play again because she hardly ever comes to New York, so I was very excited for this show. I wasn't too familiar with Thao but she has awesome enthusiasm and I love the way she plays guitar. Mirah and Thao played so well together and it was nice hearing Mirah songs sung by Thao and vice versa. I was so excited that Mirah played the disco version of Gone Are All The Days for the final encore because it's such a great version of the song.

Overall, Mirah and Thao were amazing and their band was terrific as well. I'm so happy I was able to see Mirah again and got turned onto Thao, too!

Can you see me in the bottom right hand corner? :)








I found this video before I saw them and I wished they had played this song because it's so beautiful.

Thao & Mirah "How Dare You" from Yours Truly on Vimeo.

You can see more pictures from this show at Brooklyn Vegan!

-g.

No comments: