Wednesday, July 14, 2010

just a rant



I'm taking a break from my usual artist posts, and I'm actually going to write what I feel... {gasp}

While looking for artists to feature for today, I am finding myself a little sad and anxious.

Sad, because this blog originally began for me to post my works in progress on, and I was doing that for a while. I'm sad because I've been sketching in my Moleskine almost every night but I never have the energy after work to do more then that. I want to have a body of work that I'm proud of, but I need some motivation...

I'm anxious because I'm scared that I will lose all my creativity and motivation because I'm sucked into this monotonous way of living...working 9 to 5 everyday and nothing else. I don't want to be that person who "used to be an artist" but stopped making art once I got a "real job."

As happy as I am with my job, I just feel stifled in an office setting. I want to be in a studio, blasting tunes, making a mess and creating things! I read about artists who design and illustrate book covers, help out musicians with their album artwork, illustrate for magazines... I want to do that! I need exposure to get there, and the only way to do that is by DOING something.

Anyways, apologies for the silly rant about what is going on in my head. It did help, though.

-g.

PS. If you are an artist who happens to be involved in commercial art for magazines, books, musicians, etc., please let me know how to get to that point. I would really appreciate hearing other people's stories for getting freelance work and jobs.

No comments: