Tuesday, September 14, 2010

busy bee

Hello there! I apologize for the lack of posts this past week but things have been pretty crazy over at my end! Let me explain...

The past two weeks have been spent preparing for the Craft Fair. Unfortunately, it had to be postponed to next Sunday because of the weather... giving me another week to prepare {aka: stress out...} I also have been working on a couple of freelancing projects recently which has consumed a lot of my free time.

Participating in this craft fair has really helped me to think and reflect on my art. As soon as this craft fair is out of the way, I decided that I will be taking a little hiatus from "creating." I have a terrible tendency to start multiple projects at once without much planning. This usually means going to an art store, buying things without a specific project in mind, spending a day or two working on it, and then getting frustrated with the way it turns out and either put it aside to work on "later," or forgetting about it completely. I have about 20 different projects I can think of off the top of my head that are sitting in the pile called "Projects I Once Started and Will Probably Never Finish." This is seriously a complete waste of time {and money!} and it needs to stop!!!

I feel like this time will be a good time to think about my style as an artist. I enjoyed using different mediums while I was at school because I had easy access to them, along with help from amazing professors who helped to guide me in the right direction. Not having the structure I once had at school is a challenge that I'm facing right now, especially when I have so many different ideas that don't add up cohesively. This time off will hopefully give me a fresh start and a new outlook. I need to think about what I like to do, continue to sketch, research artists that inspire me, and learn who I am and who I want to be as an artist.

Once I have figured that out, I hope to jump right back in to creating lovely things, participating in more craft fairs and selling my things on Etsy! I am really excited to start this journey... I'm happy to share this with you, my lovely readers, and I hope that this inspires you to reflect upon yourself and who you aspire to be! {Not to be corny or anything...}

And with that... I leave you with one of my "What I Wore" drawings from June!
{Please ignore my crappy scanner and even crappier editing job!}


-g.

1 comment:

Christy Coiro said...

I do the same thing. It's a horrible waste of money and every time I see all that unfinished work I get more and more depressed about how easily I give up on making art...